Monday, November 16, 2009

SC '09

I'm here at SC '09. I got into my hotel last night after a long trip from Bangor, Maine. Today I stopped by the convention center and took care of my registration, and then checked out a little bit of downtown via the Max light rail (the convention center and downtown area are in the "free zone" so it is very convenient). The large (~255,000 square foot according to the website) exhibition opens tonight at 5:00PM, and the technical program kicks off tomorrow morning, so I should have some more interesting things to blog about soon. I still need to plan my schedule for the next few days to make sure I get in all of the talks that look interesting.

On a side note, I know Portland, ME is much smaller than Portland, OR and this wouldn't really be feasible, but how cool would it be to have light rail connecting the Old Port, Downtown, PWM, the Amtrak station, the Maine Mall, etc, with spurs out to surrounding communities (South Portland, Scarborough, Saco, Wetbrook, Yarmouth, Freeport, etc). It would make greater Portland a very "green" city.

1 comment:

Keith said...

> this wouldn't really be feasible

Isn't that kind of a defeatist attitude G?